Question: I currently have a DEA registration to import controlled substances into the United States. Do I need to obtain a separate DEA registration as a chemical importer to also import bulk raw quantities of a List I chemical?

Answer: Yes, a separate DEA registration as a chemical importer is required. Title 21 CFR 1309.21(a)(1) requires that every person or entity who imports or proposes to import a List I chemical or a drug product containing ephedrine, pseudoephedrine, or phenylpropanolamine must annually obtain a DEA registration as a chemical importer. Thus, DEA requires a separate registration for individuals or entities seeking to import controlled substances as well as any amount of a List I chemical, not just bulk raw quantities. EO-DEA222, October 5, 2020

Disclaimer: Guidance documents, like this document, are not binding and lack the force and effect of law, unless expressly authorized by statute or expressly incorporated into a contract, grant, or cooperative agreement. Consistent with Executive Order 13891 and the Office of Management and Budget implementing memoranda, the Department will not cite, use, or rely on any guidance document that is not accessible through the Department's guidance portal, or similar guidance portals for other Executive Branch departments and agencies, except to establish historical facts. To the extent any guidance document sets out voluntary standards (e.g., recommended practices), compliance with those standards is voluntary, and noncompliance will not result in enforcement action. Guidance documents may be rescinded or modified in the Department's complete discretion, consistent with applicable laws.