Diversion Control Division, US Department of Justice, Drug Enforcement Administration

RESOURCES > Publications & Manuals > Informational Documents

Informational Documents

DATA Waived Physicians

Medication Assisted Treatment (MAT) for Opioid Use Disorder

Comprehensive Addiction and Recovery Act (CARA), Public Law 114-198 (July 22, 2016)

Medication Assisted Treatment For Opioid Use Disorders, 81 FR. 44712 (July 8, 2016)

Implementation of the Provision of the Comprehensive Addiction and Recovery Act of 2016 Relating to the Dispensing of Narcotic Drugs for Opioid Use Disorder, 83 FR 3071 (January 23, 2018)

Drug Addiction Treatment Act of 2000

CSAT and DEA Letter: Clarification of DATA Waived Physicians Prescribing for Patients at a Narcotic Treatment Program (PDF) (April 27, 2009)


Customer Service Plan for Registrants (January 2010)

Questions and Answers

Question: I am a practitioner who has received a waiver to treat opioid dependent patients pursuant to the Drug Addiction Treatment Act of 2000 (DATA). Since receiving my waiver, I have moved my primary practice location. Who do I notify of this address change and how?

Answer: Each DATA Waived Physician (DWP) is responsible for notifying the Department of Health and Human Services' Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) and DEA of a change in his/her primary practice address.

A "Change of Address" request to SAMHSA should be made through the Center for Substance Abuse Treatment (CSAT) by:

Additional information regarding HHS policies and regulations concerning the DATA and DWPs may be found on the following SAMHSA/CSAT website at https://www.samhsa.gov/medication-assisted-treatment/training-materials-resources/apply-for-practitioner-waiver

Additionally, a modification of registration is required by DEA when a practitioner moves to a new physical location. Modifications are handled in the same manner as applications and must be approved by DEA. A modification of registration can be requested online at www.DEAdiversion.usdoj.gov or in writing to the local DEA Registration Program Specialist responsible for the area in which the practice is located. If the change of address involves a change in the state, the proper state issued license and, if applicable, state controlled substances registrations must be obtained prior to the approval of modification of the federal registration. If the modification is approved, DEA will issue a new certificate of registration. The registrant should maintain the new certificate with the old certificate until expiration.

Emergency Disaster Relief
Search for Year Round Pharmaceutical Disposal Locations.
National Prescription Drug Take Back Day. Turn in your unused or expired medication for safe disposal here.
RX Abuse Online

Diversion Control Division  •  8701 Morrissette Drive  •  Springfield, VA 22152  •  1-800-882-9539

DOJ Legal Policies and Disclaimers    |    DOJ Privacy Policy    |    FOIA    |    Section 508 Accessibility